“Ya’ll did what?” was the response of numerous co-workers when I explained the graveside tailgate on Friday. As I described the scene of 26 people above ground and 7 below ground toasting and celebrating Tita’s trip to Heaven, people were in awe. “I have never heard of anyone doing that“ would be the same response. However, at the same time you could see the smiles on their faces and fascination of what kind of faith you have to have to do such a thing!
I further elaborated on the UT chairs, sandwiches and beer under the “pecan” trees. Wow was the response. The sudden breeze that brought some relief to the humidity, the young cousins “cruising the graveyard” and the atmosphere of celebration brought great closure to me and made me know that everything will be okay.
My friend Jon said exactly what Manda coined on Sunday “Ya’ll definitely put the “Fun” in Funeral.” I think we all can wear that badge of courage starting on Monday at Porting-Loring. Think about it…we have been laughing for a solid week and crying in between.
Those who went to the service on Thursday intimated that they had never been to a fun and celebratory funeral before and were truly touched by it. That is a testament to a family that is solid in its collective skin (co-dependency included) and faith. These are moments that change lives.
Tita would be proud of all of us!
Peace to all.
Ross
Monday, July 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
I can attest to the changing lives part..that people came away with that day..I had dinner with jim's family last night..his mom and sister. I had not seen them in 8 months. They had gone to the funeral, and literally could not stop asking me questions about mom, us,etc...I have been in that family for 15 years, and never has that happenend. They were certainly in awe of all that occurred. We were able to break down a few walls last night...because of mom and her spirit that will continue to live on through all of us.
All these comments are so wonderful they make me cry. You guys spent so much more time with Tita so she impacted you daily, I talked to her 1 o2 times a week but we always laughed about something. We have always talked about our parents and that is the most sorrow I feel, that now that Tuck and Tita are both gone, no one remembers our mom. She was so great and Tita had so many of the same qualities. Boys I dated loved to come over and spend time wth her because she was so funny. Ask Bob. Tita was the same, so many of your friend attended the funeral for the very same reason. I treasure all the time we spent together in arlington and SA "growing up" so to speak.A sister is so important, you can whine and bitch all you want and they don't care.You can get drunk and skinny dip and they won't tell you you are "fat". I just can't believe she is gone. But we can still have fun and that is a great legacy and hey we established a long time ago that we throw great funerals.
I cannot fathom your pain Didi. I cannot imagine my life without Amy and Barbara and Kurt too. You have a great brother too. I got to spend the night with Ross tonight and we spoke about how much we love you and how much fun you are. I know we cannot fill the void that Mom left in you but we can try our hardest. You name the topic and between us all, I think we'd have the Tita answer. What do we do from here? Remember what Tita found paramount. Family. I love all of you.
Thanks Manda, that means a lot, my life is pretty great but I think you guys have turned into such great adults. I will be honest and tell you that I have felt "out of the loop" sometimes and I know Sam just loves to be around you guys, she is so much fun. She really wants that big family feeling Lately I have been feeling like I have neglected all of you somehow and that was before Tita left us. But that is in the past and the future will bring great times for all of us. I know it is weird but I really feel bad that Tata ended up being estranged from us, sometimes I really felt like that. Ross is a great guy,and I am thankful for him, God must have had a plan for us to bring him so late!!! We will all be ok, and we have had so few tragedies, we are blessed. But after all we are the first family of Navasota.
Several people said to me that they had never been to a happy funeral before. All you kids were smiling and laughing. How did ya'll do that? Well first of all they do not know how much we cried all week and second of all when you believe in God and heaven it just makes it easier. Can you imagine not having faith? Being at Amandas tonight really helped. It helped so much that Im going back tomorrow! Hope everyone can come to Amandas and get helped. Sorry Didi, we do say we wish Didi was here. We will call you tomorrow and hopefully ease some of the sadness for you.
Good Lord, Didi, you just brought back a flood of memories in Arlington. Wasn't that pool bought at Sears and made of materials that have since been outlawed. Some of the other memories in Arlington: Football in Randall Mill park after Thanksgiving, Hamburgers Etc, Swimming at UTA with its massive 10 meter high dive, Going to Six Flags, Traders Village, Being able to walk 2 miles home from school, sneaking Oreos from Uncle Bob's Jar, Always avoiding the furnace in the floor at the UTA house, Our next door neighbor hotwiring the gold station wagon and Amy taking everybody for a spin, Playing in the snow at the church across the street from Fleur de Lis, The Pickle, Going to Uncle Bob's Basketball Games, Chrystal Palace Pizza. I could go on and on. I am convinced this is cathartic.
Love to all.
Psalm 116:5,9
Didi, you and Uncle Bob have done a wonderful job with Samantha. She is such a Joy. I can't believe how she has grown up. It doesn't seem that long ago that she was taking her first steps at the house in Green Springs.
Also, with regards to my list, I forgot to mention watching high school football games with Didi in Lake Worth, Sitting in the nosebleeds watching Texas Ranger Baseball (the ultra exclusive perks of belonging to the Texas Ranger Fan Club) and swimming at Uncle Hub's.
Love to all.
Matthew 7:7
Kurt you left out the yellow plastic furniture...lots and lots of toilet paper..spam and potatoes...bud's slobber on the walls... on us.... on everything! I would sit in your house didi and listen to elton john. and barb would look at the nakey books.
man o' man...tita really took one for the team!
ex15:2
I think Barb took one of the nakey books!!! Hope she put it to good use. We do have some fabulous memories. love to all
I remember that pool in Arlington. I had to move the sumbitch a dozen times I think. Pop would give me 50 bucks to spend when I was there for a week and i would routinely come home with 50 bux. O Where O where did my tightness go?
I remember the streaker on the bike, and Didi's big boysenberry bush, all the trees, Cheetos and Budweiser beer. And of course, washing our hair with Rain Tree Shampoo in the back yard with a garden hose. The hair washing will be carried on I guarantee!!!
Oh yes..washing our hair outside..ain't nothing better. Morgan does it at the coast. I put on a bikini yesterday, and weeded my yard..I think I will go buy me a thong bikini..just want too. HA!
Somehow I think Helen Reddy has creeped on to Meemee's ipod or maybe YouTube!Woohoo!
WHERE IS EVERYBODY????? Don't desert me now..we are supposed to write everyday...
Beautiful service today Bob,Didi and Samantha. I thought it was really lovely. Ya'll drive home safe and let us know if we can help ya'll with anything. Love Ya'll, Manda
I really really miss mom!!!! This sucks!!! Nothing else better happen for a long time. Ross where is our post??
Post a Comment