Thursday, July 26, 2007

Contentment in All Things

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:4-7



Anxiety is rampant in America. Worries about the stock market, terrorism, the devaluing dollar and a litany of other unnerving issues make headlines on 24/7 cable news networks. It is difficult to avoid but how should we react to it when we do.

Me, I prepare for ways to overcome these potential crises. I do this in three ways:

· Solid storehouse of foods and water to withstand a sustained interruption of normal services.

· Keep some cash around in case the ATM and credit card machines don’t work.

· Most importantly, I build on my personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Relying on Him to guide me in the other two efforts above.

The writer of Philippians has it right. We must be ready to be content in any circumstances. Regardless of any preparation, life has a way of throwing a curve ball at you. It is our responses to these curves that separate the believer from those who rely on Man to sustain them.

As we fondly mull over our memories of Tita, we all should recognize that she always knew that everything would work out okay. I know that there was plenty of anxiety over money, bills and enough time for everything. But in the end she let go and let God help her through it all. Most times that I saw her, she appeared to be content in her situation.

She had a strong prayer life, was thankful for what she did have and was able to find peace. In the end, God granted her eternal peace starting at the place she loved most – outside on her back porch.

We should each find our own “back porch” and go there often to pray and praise God regardless of our situation!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is awesome Ross, thank you, Manda

meemee said...

Ross, as I have tried to keep in the forefront of my mind..God is in everything. What we have endured has pressed us to HIM, and if we can try to look at it this way...the greater the negative, the greater the positive. I believe we are seeing the positive in the amazing transformation of this family as well as in other areas of each our lives. It is all too precious. Thankyou!