Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A Tribute to Tita - Our Journey Now Begins

Thank all of you coming to celebrate the life of Toni Berkes. I know everyone in this room is as shocked as we are in her sudden departure but everyone knows that Toni wasn’t known for her planning abilities. It was her sense of spontaneity, humor and blind trust that everything will always work itself out if you let go and let God handle it.

Toni, “Tita”, as she was known within the family and out, overcame some very difficult times in her life but regardless of the circumstances put her children and other’s needs in front of her own! She had a sense of humor that could melt almost any stressful situation and she would put things into perspective in relation to the “big scheme of things” as she would aptly put it.

In some of the darkest times of our lives I can remember her saying to me “Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?” You couldn’t help but laugh when she said that and at that point the world didn’t seem to be collapsing around you.

As most of you know, Tita was 15 years my senior, in years and mileage by the way. She always managed to work into conversations, the story of when she was 14 and found out that our mother was pregnant with me. She said the horror of the idea that her parents were still “active” so to speak scarred her for life.

Again, Tita had a way of bringing humor to life regardless of the situation. She had strong opinions about many topics and wasn’t afraid to share them. Her honesty and frankness made her a valuable friend and mentor. If she thought you were out of your mind about something, she had no problem telling you it was a load of organic fertilizer – a rare quality in these days of intense political correctness.

However, when it came to her 4 children, Amy, Barbara, Kurt and Amanda she couldn’t have been more serious about her love for them. She was completely dedicated to their well being regardless of the impact to her. Twelve hour Saturdays at tennis matches and soccer tournaments, some with snow, were the norm for quite a while since her kids are only two years apart.

That same dedication and sense of pride passed through to her 8 grandchildren, Morgan, Sam, Sophie, Jasmine, Emily, Nathan, Grace and Corby. She always glowed when she discussed how proud she was of all her kids, their spouses and their children.

Right after our cousin Tucker died about a month ago, she grasped her own sense of mortality as we all did. She told me that regardless of the things that she endured over the course of her life, her greatest legacy was what wonderful adults her children had become. She knew that she could take the credit for that but instead she gave the glory to God for their success. She further added that despite her own shortcomings, God managed to give her so many people in her life that brought her so much joy everyday.

As we have been told so many times by less enthusiastic folks “there are just so many of you”. Anyone that has joined the family for holidays or any other occasion to eat and drink as a group knows the decibel level that we brought to the party. And despite being related, you have to break us up with a stick to end the parties.

Toni’s sudden departure leaves a gaping hole in all of our lives and makes it clear to me that we cannot take one moment for granted on this earth. What is important is making the effort to be around the ones you love, putting aside the cares of the world and not letting the stresses of everyday life steal your joy or diminish the love we have for our friends and family.

We must live intentional lives! That means taking the time to call an old friend, spend more time at home with your families and friends and less time at work. I know that the companies we work for aren’t going to put on our gravestones, what a great worker we were. Living intentionally means setting priorities, living our values without fear of what others think and most importantly living in the present.
The past is just that and Jesus compelled us to live each day as if it is our last by saying:


“And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life” “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Mathew 6:27, 34

Friends, leave here today knowing that Toni loved you and would want each of you to tell someone a funny story about her. Go from here and live Intentional lives!

21 comments:

Brigances said...

Titaaaaa....Love, CJ.

didi said...

Hey guys, great send off today. I am sure Navasota has never had a tita tailgate funeral before. I am sure we set the "drums" off. We do great funerals!!! love didi

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I completely agree, I think she was watching us and smiling, that is why she sent us that breeze so it wouldn't be "so damn hot"! Thanks for all the hugs, they help. Love you all, Amanda

didi said...

We had a great day yesterday, today it is raining and even tho tita loved rainy days, not too great for picnics. xxoo didi

cozumelbarb said...

When I got home last night, I went straight to the computer to see if anybody had sent me anything and Amy had sent the Brad Paisley and Dolly Parton song. Wow! It helped so much. I feel so much better today knowing Mom really is O.K.

mimi said...

Hi guys..I just figured out how to use this..I have never blogged before. (We don't have to put ankey picture up do we?).. I thought yesterday was incredible, as well as the funeral. I believe many walked out of there feeling quite different. What an extraordinary week.....What this family has is amazing. There are so many who would cherish what we share..oh well, Going to go back to my special place and turn up my tunes.
love mimi

mimi said...

That was supposed to say nakey..

OMC said...

Here I am...Old Man Cox....blog..blog...blog...blog..blog...

cozumelbarb said...

I still don't know how i am getting on this blog thing.

Kurt and Elena said...

I love all of the comments. I find myself checking the site every fifteen minutes for new entries. I know mom loves seeing them all.

Anonymous said...

Kurt is so funny, I find myself "stalking " the blog myself. I love being able to talk to ya'll without your spouses saying, jeez, it's Maymay again. Not that the calls will stop completely. Co-dependency Rocks!!!

didi said...

Hey this is the new OCD. didi

jungledrum said...

I guess I need to make up a cheat sheet on how to create POSTS versus comments. This is not a forum, it is a blog where you are to write your thoughts and then we make fun of them via comments!

The Jungle Drums blog is for our POSTS. We will do an inservice during the first monthly meeting that Jim and Robert have agreed to organize!
Ross

Anonymous said...

Poor Ross, you are not dealing with a bunch of computer literate people here, most of us are glad we can check our e-mail. So are you secretly making fun of our comments because we can't post? Do you and Kurt have an off shoot Blog on this subject? You need to write Blogging For Dummies.

didi said...

But I have so many "deep" thoughts how will I choose which one to post. And I can't make the monthly meetings, is this gonna be like AA or something? will you all have to stand up and confess your co-dependency and all that. Sounds like fun!!!!you will have to youtube it so I can be there each time.

cozumelbarb said...

What do you mean post? Are we doing this wrong?

meemee said...

I"m in...but now as meemee..I am figuring this out..now where do I email the post and then do what with the comment.............

Kurt and Elena said...

Oohhh my Goodness...
I will email amanda the instructions on how to post. She already has the comments section down pat.

cozumelbarb said...

Amanda and Amy are having a hard day today. Mine was yesterday. Today we are going to the river and sit in the water. Keep busy and we are here for everyone. Call and talk! love Barb

Anonymous said...

Today is hard, but we're going to Ross' for a swim. I think the physical activity should tire our bodies to match our minds and that way we won't have to think too much. Being able to talk to everyone helps so much, thank you Ross for setting this blog up, I think it is helping us all tremendously. And yes, we now know how to post, but we feel those are for "deep thoughts" and not ramblings of a bunch of crazies.